The whole family will enjoy working together to make this delicate hand-filled pasta.
Butternut squash filling:
2 Tbsp. unsalted butter
1 large butternut or buttercup squash, cut in half
1/2 cup ground amaretti cookies
1/2 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, finely grated
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 cups All-Purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
3 large egg yolks
1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
1 Tbsp. sage
1/2 tsp. black pepper
Parmesan cheese, shaved for serving
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place squash on a baking sheet and roast until soft 30 to 40 minutes. Scoop out flesh and run though a food mill or food processor.
2. Place the squash puree into a medium saucepan and cook over low heat until almost dry. Add the amaretti, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, nutmeg, salt and pepper and blend until smooth.
3. Flour a large cutting board or work surface. Place 2 cups of the flour and the salt on the board and make a wide well in it. Place the eggs and egg yolks in the well. With a fork, follow the perimeter of the well, bringing in small amounts of flour and continuing all the way around, until gradually most of the four is absorbed. If necessary, add up to 1/2 cup of the remaining flour. Divide the dough into 2 pieces.
4. Put the dough through a pasta machine, folding into halves each time and reinserting 15 to 20 times, to knead it. Continue until the pasta is paper-thin
5. Lay out the sheets of dough and cut them into 4-inch squares; you should have about 40 to 42 squares. Place 1 heaping tablespoon of the filling on one corner of each square. Fold over the filled portion, press down around the filling,and place on a baking sheet lined with waxed paper and sprinkled with semolina.
6. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until it begins to foam and brown, about 4 minutes. Add the sage, salt and pepper.
7. Bring a large pot of water, salted if desired, to a boil over high heat. Add the ravioli and cook until tender, three to four minutes. Toss with the sage butter and parmesan and serve immediately.