An interesting twist on the classic weekend breakfast food
3 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
3 Tbsp sugar
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 Tbsp lemon zest
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1. In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks, buttermilk, sugar and ricotta cheese.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, lemon zest, nutmeg and salt.
3. In a third bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry.
4. Mix the dry ingredients into the buttermilk mixture with a few quick strokes. A few lumps remaining are okay. Flold in the egg whites.
5. Heat a lightly greased griddle or skillet over medium heat until hot enough to evaporate immediately a drop of water, and drop the batter, by quarter-cupfuls, onto the heated griddle, adding blueberries to each pancake. Cook for about 2 1/2 minutes on the first side; bubbles should rise and burst on the first side before you flip the pancakes over. Cook for about 1 minute on the second side.
Yield: 6 Servings